We're Hiring - Hardware Engineer
SmartCone Technologies is a tech start-up in Stittsville, Ottawa. Our mission is to be the market leader in rapid deployable IoT technologies & platforms that delivers site safety & operational efficiency for large private or public organizations. TheSmartCone is a turnkey system that delivers an end-to-end solution for deploying sensor devices rapidly in a mobile environment.
Do you love being at the heart of the action? Are you looking for a role where you make an impact? There’s always a lot on the go, so if you’re driven, energetic, a strong collaborator and passionate about taking ownership of processes, this role could be perfect for you! This position offers a high-level of autonomy and exposure to the wide variety of ever evolving technologies.
Our dynamic engineering team is looking for an experienced, high-energy hardware engineer and an out-of-the-box thinker. The ideal candidate requires a solid understanding of electronics with a proven hands-on approach. This person would work directly with the Chief Architect, Lead Mechanical Engineer and the Manufacturing Manager.
· Create schematics and electronic circuits for new or existing boards.
· Create wired and wireless communication by following telecommunication protocols.
· Integrate off-the-shelf electronics into our existing infrastructure.
· Manage electronics development that is outsourced (also participate in the design).
· Programming microcontrollers (STM32, Arduino etc).
· Troubleshooting of complex systems, engaging in advanced problem-solving with only limited documentation available.
· Develop new, improve existing and evaluate diagnostic and repair methods and test procedures suitable for a wide range of legacy and new electronic products.
· Identify solutions for component obsolescence.
· Work in sync with the purchaser to determine product specifications.
· Help facilitate production capabilities and processes.
· Write documentation, technical specifications, BOMs, train test personnel, present technical demos.
· Hands on troubleshooting of electronics and benchtop verification of designs.
· A bachelor's degree in relevant engineering discipline or at least 5 years of relevant experience (computer engineering degree is an asset).
· Experience in the telecom industry with outdoor product experience.
· Experience with wireless and wired communication is required.
· Solid foundation in Embedded microcontroller development (hw, fw, build, configuration, test, and documentation).
· Knowledge of C/C++.
· Investigative mind inclined toward developing practical solutions to real-world problems.
· Working knowledge of electronic components, their function, main electrical parameters, and typical failure modes.
· Experience with electronic power regulation.
· Knowledge of the regulatory and safety requirements for industrial and commercial electronics.
· Solid working knowledge ICs, both digital and analog, microcontrollers, interfaces and protocols.
· Experience in taking a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project.
· Effective troubleshooting of complex electronic PCBs. · Proficient in electronic prototyping, design and performing electronic measurements. · Ability to develop and document diagnostics, test procedures, etc. · Ability to engage in technical discussions with the engineering team. · Experience in PCB Layout design is an asset. · Familiarity with electronics manufacturing at scale is an asset. · Python knowledge is an asset. · Experience in RF troubleshooting is an asset.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent