We're Hiring - Entry Level Software Engineer
Please note this position is tied to government funding to support women in STEM and therefore we can only accept female (or identified as female) applicants.
Who we are:
SmartCone Technologies is a tech start-up in Stittsville, Ottawa. Our mission is to be the market leader in rapid deployable IoT technologies & platforms that delivers site safety & operational efficiency for large private or public organizations. TheSmartCone is a turnkey system that delivers an end-to-end solution for deploying sensor devices rapidly in a mobile environment.
Do you love being at the heart of the action? Are you looking for a role where you make an impact? There’s always a lot on the go, so if you’re driven, energetic, a strong collaborator and passionate about taking ownership of processes, this role could be perfect for you! This position offers a high-level of autonomy and exposure to the wide variety of ever evolving technologies.
You will report directly to the Head of Engineering and assist with all functions of software coding and design. Your primary focus will be to learn the codebase, gather user data, and respond to requests from senior developers.
To ensure success as a Junior Software Developer, you should have a good working knowledge of basic programming languages, the ability to learn new technology quickly, and the ability to work in a team environment. Ultimately, a top-class Junior Software Developer provides valuable support to the design team while continually improving their coding and design skills. We expect you to be able to work across multiple facets of the project and juggle multiple responsibilities at the same time. Strong analytic capability and the ability to create innovative solutions. We are looking for a highly motivated individual who is looking to grow their career in a fast-paced environment.
· Assisting the Development Manager with all aspects of software design and coding.
· Attending and contributing to company development meetings.
· Learning the codebase and improving your coding skills.
· Writing and maintaining code.
· Working on minor bug fixes.
· Monitoring the technical performance of internal systems.
· Responding to requests from the development team.
· Gathering information from consumers about program functionality.
· Writing reports.
· Conducting development tests.
· Accomplish engineering and organization mission by completing related results as needed.
· Collaborate with team to brainstorm and create new products.
· Work collaboratively with others to achieve goals.
· Be a persistent, creative problem solver.
· Remain cool and effective in a crisis.
· Stay on the leading edge of development practices.
· Passionate about great technologies, especially open source.
This position is tied to government funding to support women in STEM and therefore we can only accept female (or identified as female) applicants.
· Post-secondary degree in in appropriate field of study.
· Basic OOP and/or Functional Programing and modeling skills.
· Knowledge of microcontroller programming is a bonus.
· Basic skills in Linux (Ubuntu/Debian).
· Experience with Docker and Kubernetes.
· Comfortable with Git (GitHub/Bitbucket).
· Ability to learn new software and technologies quickly.
· Ability to follow instructions and work in a team environment.
· Ability to work in an agile environment.
· Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams and management to collect requirements, identify tasks, provide estimates and meet production deadlines.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent